Personal Assistance Services

Common Pitfalls

Not getting the Personal Assistance Services (PAS) you need

Many people are nervous initially about getting a Personal Care Assistant (PCA). They may not want a stranger in their home or help doing tasks that are private, such as bathing or getting dressed. However, a PCA is a much more affordable and private option than many alternatives, such as living in an assisted living facility. If you need Personal Assistance Services (PAS), you should definitely talk to other people who use them and learn more about how they can help you.

If you think that there is no way you can afford to pay for PAS, consider applying for services from the Arizona Long-Term Care System (ALTCS).

Not identifying all available funding sources

Personal Assistance Services may be paid for in various ways:

Consider all possibilities when deciding how to get the services you need. In some cases, a mix of funding is the right approach.

Failing to request a reasonable accommodation

In Arizona, employers with 15 or more employees are required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to supply reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you need an adjustment to your job or workplace to fulfill the essential functions of your current job, make sure to request it.

The ADA does not apply to employers that are owned and operated by Indian tribes, but Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act may apply if tribal employers accepted federal financial assistance. Some Indian tribes have also adopted laws which are similar to the ADA.

Disclosing more than you care to

You are never required to disclose the existence of a disabling condition in the workplace, except when requesting a reasonable accommodation. Even then, your employer can only request the documentation that is needed to establish the existence of a disability and the need for reasonable accommodation.

Confusion about job-related personal assistance

Workplace personal assistance may or may not qualify as a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In general, workplace Personal Assistance Services may be considered a reasonable accommodation if the assistance is job-related and not primarily for your personal benefit.

Learn more