What is Nutrition Assistance?

Back to top
The Nutrition Assistance Program (NA) helps you pay for food. It is Arizona’s part of a federal program called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). SNAP used to be known as Food Stamps.

What is the difference between Nutrition Assistance and Food Stamps?

Back to top
The federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) used to be called Food Stamps. SNAP and Nutrition Assistance (NA) are the same program, but NA doesn’t give out actual paper Food Stamps anymore. Instead, you will get an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card.

Since there are no more Food Stamps, how does Nutrition Assistance give me money to help pay for food?

Back to top
You will get an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card from the Nutrition Assistance Program. The EBT card looks and works like a debit card. No one at the store will know that you are on the Nutrition Assistance (NA) program when you check out.

Who can get Nutrition Assistance?

Back to top
Nutrition Assistance (NA) is for people who can’t afford to pay for all of their food. Most households have to meet income limits to qualify for the program.

Are there households that don’t have to meet the income limit?

Back to top
Yes. Your household doesn’t have to meet the Nutrition Assistance (NA) income limit if everyone in your household is on Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

What is the resource limit for Nutrition Assistance?

Back to top
For people with disabilities , the resource limit is $3,500. This does not include your car or your home. And if your disability began before you turned 26, you can open an ABLE account where you can save up to $15,000 each year and not have it count for Nutrition Assistance. Learn more about ABLE accounts.

How much money will my household get each month from Nutrition Assistance?

Back to top
The amount you get depends on your income and the number of people in your household. Your monthly benefit could range anywhere from $16 to $1,164 or more.

I have a Personal Care Attendant to help me prepare meals. Do I have to include that person in my household when I apply for Nutrition Assistance?

Back to top
No. Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) do not have to be included in the household when you apply for Nutrition Assistance (NA).

How do I apply for Nutrition Assistance?

Back to top
The easiest way to apply for Nutrition Assistance (NA) is online using Health-e-Arizona.

Or, you can download the application for benefits, print it, fill it out and then either mail or fax it to your local Family Assistance Administration (FAA) office.

You can also request a paper application from your local FAA office. If you need help locating your local FAA office, use the online tool to search by city or zip code.

You can also call FAA for help at 1-855-777-8590.