Getting a Higher Education

The Basics

Young people who are finishing or have recently finished high school have to make some big decisions as they become adults. These decisions include whether to continue going to school, what type of school to go to, where to go to school, and how to pay for school.

If you are in this situation, this section will help you decide what to do. It will help you decide whether you want to get more education and what types of education to consider. If you have been accepted into a school or are already attending one, it also has information about how to pay for your education and your rights as a student.

General Educational Development (GED)

Some people don’t graduate from high school. That means they don’t have a high school diploma. Without a diploma a person can’t be accepted to college or get some jobs.

If you don’t have a high school diploma and aren’t in high school anymore, you may be able to take a set of tests called the General Educational Development (GED). If you pass these tests, you will get a certificate that will let you go to college or take part in other jobs or activities that require a high school diploma. This is sometimes referred to as “getting your GED.”

The GED tests are administered in many places, such as community colleges, adult schools, and other schools. There are books and classes that can help you prepare for GED tests. Many people with disabilities can get reasonable accommodations to assist them while taking the tests, including extra time, a private room, a calculator, and more.

You can learn more about GED tests and where to take them, on the Arizona Department of Education Adult Ed and GED Testing web page.

Learn more