Managing Your Benefits While Working

Reporting Your Income

If you go back to work or if your income changes for any other reason, be sure to report your change in earnings to Social Security, your DES/Family Assistance Administration office, and any other agency that gives you disability benefits.

Report these changes in your income immediately. If you don’t, you’re putting yourself at risk of an overpayment. If you get an overpayment, you will likely be held responsible for repaying those benefits to Social Security and any other agencies that overpaid you. If you have any questions about this, talk to a Work Incentive Consultant.

How to Report to Social Security

If you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), you need to report your income to the Social Security Administration (SSA). If you get benefits from both of these programs, you need to make sure to report your earnings to both of your claims representatives at Social Security, not just one of them.

When reporting changes in your income to Social Security, make sure you report any change related to earned income or unearned income, and any Impairment Related Work Expenses (IRWEs) or wage subsidies that you get. Your Social Security claims representative will tell you what you need to report and what information you need to send to them.¿

Reporting for SSDI

For SSDI, to report changes, contact your local Social Security office and ask how and when you should report your earnings. You may be able to report:

Reporting for SSI

For SSI, you can report changes:

Note: You cannot use the SSITWR, the app, or my Social Security if you:

How to Report to Your DES/Family Assistance Administration office

If you get health coverage through the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), Nutrition Assistance, TANF Cash Assistance, or any other benefits supplied by Arizona’s Department of Economic Security (DES), you need to report changes in your income to your local DES/Family Assistance Administration office by mail or in person.

If you get health coverage through AHCCCS Freedom to Work, you need to report to the AHCCCS Freedom to Work office at 1-855-432-7587 or 1-602-417-5010.

If you have a work goal or are currently working, a Work Incentive Consultant can answer your questions.

Learn more