Other Rental Supports

In Arizona, other than Section 8, there are various other programs that can help you with rent. Each program has its own eligibility requirements and rules for remaining eligible, which we discuss here. If you have questions about these programs or others than may be available, contact the Arizona Department of Housing.

Public Housing

Public housing is rental housing that is owned and managed by a local government agency for people who have low incomes to live in. Public housing comes in many sizes and types, from single family houses to large apartment buildings.

Public housing is very affordable; usually you will only have to pay 30% of your household income.


In order to qualify for public housing, you must:

  • Have a low income
  • Be a U.S. citizen or be an eligible immigrant. Eligible immigrants include permanent legal residents, refugees, asylees, and lawful temporary residents

If your income is low enough to make you eligible, the local housing authority will also check:

  • Your references, to make sure you and your family will be good tenants
  • Your credit history
  • Your history as a tenant
  • Your criminal background

Just as with Section 8, if you have had problems with a housing authority in the past or owe money for rent or damages to a housing authority, you probably won’t be allowed to live in public housing.

How to Apply

Applying for public housing is a lot like applying for Section 8 housing. You have to apply to a local Public Housing Authority (PHA) and will probably be put on a waiting list.

Waiting lists for public housing may be very long and the type of housing you want may not be available for a long time. That’s why you should apply to several different public housing programs to get on their waiting lists. That way you’ll have a better chance at getting an apartment.

When you fill out the application, you should also make sure to mention your disability, because some units are reserved for people with disabilities.

Contact local public housing authorities to find public housing in the area where you want to live.

If you have questions about public housing, you can also contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at 1-800-955-2232.

Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA)

If you or a member of your household is living with HIV/AIDS and your household has low or moderate income, you may be able to get help with housing costs through the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) program. HOPWA can help with short-term rent, mortgage, and utility payment assistance.

HOPWA assistance is available through four housing agencies in Arizona:

Learn more